Construction & Permitting

Bureau of Housing Inspections

Phone (610) 865-7091 or (610) 865-7097
Fax (610) 865-7330

The City of Bethlehem follows the 2009 International Property Maintenance Code (amendments – Ordinance 2010-27)

  • Code books are available for viewing in our office or for purchase at

List of Most Common Code Violations

Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the City’s housing inspection requirements when a property is being sold?

All properties must be inspected by the City of Bethlehem prior to transfer of title. The property must comply with the International Property Maintenance Code and allowable use the by the City of Bethlehem Zoning Ordinance.

The owner must call the City for an inspection within 10 days of offering the property for sale to schedule the code inspection. This applies to residential properties as well as commercial.
See Article 1731

What does the City require if I am renting out my home or an apartment unit?

Every dwelling that is a rental, must be inspected each time the unit becomes vacant after one year of use and occupancy.

See Article 1731

As the owner of a rooming house, what are my responsibilities?

An annual rooming house license inspection is required by the City of Bethlehem. The license shall expire at the end of the calendar year in which it was inspected.

See Article 1735

As the owner of a rental property occupied by students or unrelated people, what are my responsibilities?

See Article 1739

What are the inspection fees?

See Article 1731

How do I schedule a housing inspection for sale/rental?

Contact our office at (610) 865-7091 or (610) 865-7097, Monday through Friday between 8:00am and 4:30pm

What information will I need to schedule the inspection?

Application Form

What kind of complaints does the Housing Bureau handle?

  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Properties not being maintained
  • Overcrowding
  • Vacant structures – go to
  • Landlord/property maintenance issues
    • Prior to contacting our office, tenants should first contact their landlords and keep a record of it

What are my landlord’s responsibilities?

  • Providing trash pick-up
  • Providing utilities (subject to lease terms)
  • Registering contact info of a local agent/manager if residing 20+ miles outside of the City
  • Securing a certificate of occupancy prior to re-occupancy of a unit
  • Providing a clean and sanitary environment – the tenant is responsible for maintaining the clean and sanitary environment

When are the housing inspectors available for questions?

The inspectors are in their offices from 8:00am – 9:00am and 3:30pm – 4:30pm.